Athens, the capital of Greece is one of the most famous cities in the world. Its name originates from the Greek Goddess Athena. It is the place where the great Olympics began.
There are a host of four and five star hotels where you can have a lavish and comfortable stay. Some of the main hotels are Residence Georgio, Hotel London, Stanley Hotel Athens and the Aphrodite Astir Palace.
On your sightseeing trip to Athens, do not miss visiting the following spots:
- The Temple of Poseidon. One of the first stops for tourist buses is the Temple of Poseidon at Cape Sounion. It stands on a small hill overlooking the magnificent sea. You need to travel safely as it is the quite slippery and one wrong step, and you call fall over the rocks or in the water. Greeks used to look over the sea and wait for their loved ones, for the safe and sound delivery of their goods and news of war. Far away from the hustle and bustle of city life, this calm and serene place at Cape sounion will give you a thrilling and exciting feeling.
- The National Archaeological Museum. If you go to Athens, you must visit the National Archaeological Museum where the ancient collection of Greek art is stored. There is a newly reopened collection of Egyptian art and artifacts that will enthuse art lovers from all over the world. It is a marvellous museum with a very rich and beautiful collection of the ancient Greek culture. Other than that there is a smiling statue of an Aphrodite readYing herself to slap a satyr with a sandal and other mesmerising statues.
- The Parthenon. It is built on the Acropolis hill is a temple dedicated to the Greek Goddess Athena. Designed by Phidias who was a famous sculptor and supervised by the Greek architects Ictinos and Callicrates, this amazing temple had many treasures and the huge statue of Athena. Completely, built in 438 BCE, this temple has managed to survive several centuries and stands today in ruins after it was bombed in 1687 while a war was on with the Venetians.
- Piraeus. For above 2500 years, Piraeus has been the Port of Athens. The great film “Never on Sunday” made by Melina Mercouri that won an Academy award was shot here. Many university students come here for studies in maritime history as well as other subjects. There is the Archaeological Museum of Piraeus that offers a breathtaking collection of artifacts from the area. You can view the huge bronze statues of Athena and Artemis. People passing through Piraeus must definitely pay a visit to this museum.
- The Municipal Gallery of Piraeus While at Piraeus, you can drop in at the Municipal Gallery of Piraeus that offers a major collection of modern sculpture by the noted Georage Kastriotis and theatrical memorabilia that has been donated by Manos Katrakis.
There is several other tourist attractions that shall enthral you and you will return excited and thrilled after having visited such a wonderful city.